Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's Like Taking Candy From a Baby. Except That You're Killing It Instead.

I attended my first Biopsychology class this semester. It goes without saying that I find the content fascinating. Perhaps a little too fascinating, because I am already using my new found knowledge to potentially wreak havoc on mankind. In order to illustrate the importance of environmental factors in early development, my professor explained that if an infant is not exposed to horizontal lines at all in early life, it will not recognize horizontal lines at all upon the initial exposure. One student raised his hand and inquired,
“So, if they see a horizontal line, would they just…run into it?”
To which my professor replied,
“Something along those lines.” (Haha, I just realized the excellent pun there. But I don’t think she did that on purpose.)
This prompted me to turn to my friend and say,
“Hey! You know what would be really funny? Say that you reared an infant on the Golden Gate Bridge, which has tons of vertical lines, because it’s a suspension bridge. Now say that after two years or so, you uproot this infant and place it in front of…an OCEAN.”
I wonder. So, if this infant saw a horizontal line (in this case, the horizon), would it just…run into it?
I am so terrible. Thank god I’m never having kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment